What’s your career strategy and plan? Part 3 of 5.
This blog shares some tips about how to create a career strategy and plan.
“Goals that are not written down are just wishes.” Anon.
How do you go about creating a career strategy and plan?
It is a mixture of internal and external exploration and thinking and includes:
- Having a clear S.M.A.R.T. goal
- Creating a timing plan
- Breaking down long term outcomes into small shorter steps
- Having self-awareness; your needs, wants, values, motivations, skills, qualities etc.
- Diarising time to review and update it
- Reviewing published data on skill shortages and job/career trends
- Researching employer needs e.g. changing competencies
- Looking at market, economic and industry changes and trends
- Creating an image board – a pictorial representation of what you want from your career
What tips would you add?
In case you missed them, here are parts 1 and 2.
Part 2 looks at why it makes sense to have a career strategy and plan:
Part 1 explores why people don’t have a career strategy and plan:
Part 4 of 5 will look at the opportunity cost of not having a career strategy and plan.
To receive free Energise bulletins on Career strategies, smart living and working and self-promotion topics, visit this web page and opt in: http://www.liberateyourtalent.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=106
For more useful tips & insights, follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/talentliberator