Want career change, but juggling priorities?
Many people want to make a career change, but don’t start. Lacking time, they are always juggling priorities but investing time in marketing themselves, essential to create a career change isn’t one of them. Here are some tips:
10 tips to make time for marketing yourself
1. Language – use words that feel motivating when diarising marketing yourself activities, e.g. ‘career development project’;
2. Diarise – block out time regularly – 10 minutes a day adds up over time. So does 0 minutes a day;
3. Goal – have a S.M.A.R.T goal for your career (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timed), and a clear step-by-step plan to achieve it;
4. Environment – Do tasks away from the office where client’s needs beckon e.g. in a coffee shop near work;
5. Enjoyable - focus on the aspects of marketing yourself that you enjoy, e.g. some people enjoy writing articles, other people prefer chatting 121;
6. Appealing – focusing your marketing efforts on attractive employers who you feel excited about working with because you relish their culture or because there are opportunities for progression and involvement in decision making;
7. Bite sized – creating timed small tasks e.g. tag LinkedIn connections or e mail an influencer an update reduces overwhelm;
8. Expert help – select an experienced career coach to keep you focused.
What tips would you add?
Making a career change takes time and investment in your own marketing, but if you action at least one of these tips, you will move forwards.
For more insights and tips, follow us on Twitter @talentliberator