More and more people are doing a portfolio career. Could you be one of them?
This blog shares what a portfolio career is, the components and why they are growing.
What is a portfolio career?
• A mixture of different strands
• Doing more than one thing for work
• A shifting blend of work components
• Work that gives you options
• A growing trend
“The best way to predict the future is to invent it.” Alan Kay
Components of a portfolio career
• Part time job/jobs (employment)
• Freelance/contract work (self-employment)
• Non-Exec director
• On-line business
• Career break/rest
Why are portfolio careers growing?
• Changing world of work
• Shortage of full time jobs
• Growth in self-employment
• Desire for choice
• Gen Y/Millennials/Gen Edge different values
• Desire for meaning and purpose
• Shift to employees taking responsibility
• Second career post redundancy
• Less middle management jobs with automation
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” Maria Robinson.
Next time, we will share the pros and cons and some examples.
Are you at a career crossroads?
Now is a great time to take action. Career coaching helps you focus, create change and achieve more faster. Starting now, 6 weeks on a fast track programme would enable you to move forward before the summer holidays. Get in touch for more details.
Follow us on Twitter: @talentliberator