Spring is a time of growth and change. Many people move jobs in the Spring, but many don’t. Here are 18 reasons why people stay doing a job they hate:
2. Fear of change
3. Like staying in comfort zone
4. It is easier NOT to make a decision
5. Lack time
7. Want to get redundancy pay off
8. Financial commitments e.g. large mortgage
9. Dependents e.g. children going through University
10. Anxious about career change
11. Planning to have a child and want to take maternity leave
12. Worried about losing employment law rights if they move companies
13. Don’t know what else they want to do
14. Lack time to think/plan
15. Not sure what their transferable skills are and what they would be useful for
16. Find it hard to get a job elsewhere – common for over 50’s
17. Want to build pension for retirement
18. Self-employment feels too scary
Read more on 18 reasons why people stay doing a job they hate…
Do you find the prospect of career change scary?
Many people want to make a career change, but choose to stay put instead. With an uncertain economic situation and with perceived security, this is a common choice. But at what cost?
Read more on Mind the gap…
The start of a new job is crucial to make a positive impact, especially if you are on a probation period. Changing jobs and getting used to a new culture, people and systems is a lot all at once.
Read more on Starting a new job – success tips part 3…
Starting a new job is an important and sometimes stressful event. It is crucial to make a positive impact and achieve some ‘quick wins’, but not rush in and make
too many decisions/changes without consideration or you could ruffle a few feathers.
Read more on Starting a new job – success tips part 2…
Starting a new job is an important and sometimes stressful event. It is crucial to make a positive impact and achieve some ‘quick wins’, but not rush in and make too many decisions/changes without consideration or you could ruffle a few feathers.
Read more on Starting a new job – success tips part 1…
Wouldn’t it be useful to know what the magic recipe is for all those job seekers out there – those employability skills? I have been reading some research about employability, (Source = DWP 2011 Employers recruitment behaviour and decisions SMEs) desired characteristics of candidates by employers. It is an interesting topic with a lot of unconscious bias and perceptions going on.
Read more on Do You Have Employability Skills?…
Tempting? Many people are having to re-apply for their own job in the public sector. If you were to apply for your own job now, would you, or would you rather have your boss’ job? It might feel like a bit of a trick question, as most people are doing more than one job now for the same money. This has the advantages of more variety to keep you interested but more pressure and stress!
Read more on Want To Bump Off Your Boss?…